Thursday 30 May 2013

Book Review: All Quiet On The Western Front


When I went to read this when I was younger, I never got round to getting past the first chapter because I didn't particularly enjoy it. However, I revisited it with more interest in the Great War and I really loved it.


I do think it's rightly acclaimed as a great war novel, but I wouldn't say greatest of all time. It's a great anti-war novel due to the liberation of the Weimar Republic period in Germany.  

This gut-wrenching story concerns a group of friends who join the Army during World War I and are assigned to the Western Front, where their fiery patriotism is quickly turned to horror and misery by the harsh realities of combat. Bring the tissues.

It's well worth a read if you're interested in the harsh truth of war and to indulge the mind further and read. I learnt a lot from this and for that I thank Erich Maria Remarque. If you'd like to leave a review or opinion, please feel free to drop a note in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment