Saturday 10 November 2012

London

Where I live is extremely accessible to central London. I spend a lot of time there so I thought I'd share some experience and recommendations. I am extremely proud to be British and thus, London being the capital of England, am fond of London. I also like Sheffield a lot but that's for another day :)




This is where most trains I take into London terminate. London Liverpool Street. It's just a magical place with lots of hidden treasures. Mabye if you're around you should see for yourself. It's a short walk from the base of the gherkin and some charming shops. There's even a McDonald's in it. It feels like, when you stand among the vast crowd, you're in a high budget film, and the world is your oyster.


Part of London's charm is the weather. Us Brits are used to the rain but tourists love it. If it's raining I'll most probably get the bus. If you have a travel card from the tube it's free anyway and it's a great way to see the city from the warmth and dryness. Sure, traffic can be a problem in the middle of the day but where isn't it? Also, black cabs (Hackey Carriages) are a great form of transport. It really throws you into the culture and the taxi drivers are friendly. The fare isn't too unreasonable but I don't recommend using them for long distances.


A huge attraction is the West End. I have seen countless shows. Some of my favourites include Jersey Boys, Matilda, One Man Two Guvnors, Mamma Mia, Billy Elliott, Wicked and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. These are only a few but I urge you to see as many as possible, including Hairspray, The Lion King, and a amazing show about the growth of The Beatles, Backbeat.

If you ever get the chance, have a meal in China Town, go shopping on Regent Street and see a show. Also, the museums and art galleries are amazing, like Victoria and Albert and The National History Museum. Perfection :)






No comments:

Post a Comment